Saturday, November 6, 2010

35. Annie Hall (1977) (our #1)

"I don't use any major hallucinogenics...Five years ago at a party, I tried to take my pants off over my head." - Alvy Singer
I put on my sweatpants and a hoodie, popped some popcorn, poured in some reese's pieces, and grabbed a can of red cream soda. I found my spot on the couch and settled in for our first movie into the journey of the 100 greatest movies of all time. Feeling romantic and comedic, we found Annie Hall through Netflix and hit play. I may have heard of the movie before but I certainly did not know what it was about.
The movie details the development and fall of the relationship between a neurotic comedian (Woody Allen) and a ditzy aspiring singer (Diane Keaton) in New York. I found the movie to be slow to get into but I can definitely see myself enjoying this movie the more times I watch it. The relationship between Allen and Keaton is anything but normal, seems very dysfunctional, but it's fun to watch them on screen. At times the cars in the background become slightly distracting, all I could think of was where those cars are today and how much they would be worth now. All in all, the movie was enjoyable.
I will say I was left slightly puzzled why this movie came in at #35. However, the effect the movie has had on the fashion industry (Keaton provided her own outfits and a fashion movement was created afterwards because of her look), the love Allen's fans have for this movie, the impact this film has had on the industry, and the awards won by the movie (took home 4 academy awards and a golden globe) may all be reasons why this movie ranks high on the list. We will see how it compares with the others. 
I would recommend seeing the movie if you haven't already. I'd give it 7 stars for the first viewing with the possibility of gaining stars the more times I see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment