Saturday, November 27, 2010

92. Goodfellas (1990) (our #3)

“As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.” - Henry Hill
It’s time again to continue on our path of conquering the AFI’s Top 100 Films list before I get old. At the rate we are going, it will be close. Tonight is a lovely Saturday night (my Wednesday night so it sounds less lame that I’m staying in), it’s perfect weather outside to watch a movie. I have my favorite Louisville Cardinals sweats on, a McDonald’s sweet tea in hand, and a very comfy spot on the couch.
Tonight, we set out to watch Goodfellas, a movie I know shockingly very little about; I believe it’s about gangsters, and any movie with Ray Liotta in it is fine by me. He stars alongside Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci in this movie from 1990 which comes in at number 92 on AFI’s list.
The movie instantly grabbed my attention. I have always loved mob movies, though I have only seen a few. The movie is based on a true life story of Henry Hill and follows him and two other as they work their way up the mafia hierarchy. Goodfellas is directed by Martin Scorcese, who happened to co-write the film. It was nominated for 6 Academy Awards, winning one (Best Supporting Actor for Joe Pesci). The movie is considered one of the greatest mafia movies of all time (listed by AFI just below The Godfather). In 2000 in was deemed “culturally significant” by the Library of Congress and placed for preservation into the National Film Registry. 
I really enjoyed watching Goodfellas and hope to watch again soon, see if I can notice stuff I may have missed the first time around. I would highly recommend this movie, it’s another that I believe should be higher on AFI’s list. What can I say? I really liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment